Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: HSRP with load balancing on a Cisco IOS based firewall

From: segment () fscker com
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 12:22:04 -0400

Dave wrote:

This same principal applies for BGP. You can essentially balance the
connections by splitting the network routing.

Let's not forget... You shouldn't expect real load balancing with BGP unless you manipulate
preferences to split the traffic evenly.  Some connections may have a better link, and take
preference over another, so I would use caution if you're thinking that a router is going to
split traffic evenly across links. A router is a router is a router, not a load balancer.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Jesus Oquendo
sil @ disgraced . org
sil @ antioffline . com

PGP Fingerprint
39A7 24C6 A9A0 6C67 96CA 0302 F1D3 2420 851E E3D0

http://www.antioffline.com
http://www.politrix.org

You're free. And freedom is beautiful. And, you know,
it'll take time to restore chaos and order, order out
of chaos. But we will." George W. Bush Washington,
D.C., April 13, 2003

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm