Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: HSRP with load balancing on a Cisco IOS based firewall

From: Dave <update () dsrtech com>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 21:16:36 -0400

HSRP is only for fail over.

You can use MHSRP which is multiple groups to "load split".

Lets say you have a /24 network. you would make your HSRP group 1
primary for 0/25 and your HSRP group 2 primary for 128/25.

Then make them each redundant for the other and "split" the load. Your
responsibility would be to ensure you load balance your busiest hosts
between networks.

This same principal applies for BGP. You can essentially balance the
connections by splitting the network routing.