Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: protect MS Windows 95/98/Me

From: Tomas Wolf <tomas () skip cz>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:53:02 -0500

Hello,
I couldn't find the real question, so I'll just try to react on what I see is the discussion about... I remember one free (windows natural) tool that can do some locking and policy enforcement -> POLEDIT.EXE. I remember playing with it for some time and using it for a library as the "lock-down" tool, since they didn't want to invest time or money... And it worked well enough... Even though, who knows what they are doing it is not a big deal. But that is my 1c shoot in the dark :-)
Good luck -- Tomas

Alexander Suhovey wrote:

It was long ago when I played with win9x last time, but if I recall
correctly, "Disable registry tools" policy in win9x only restricts ability
to run regedit.exe. There are other ways to edit registry:
- rename regedit.exe
- use reg files
- use third-party registry editing software Correct me here if I'm wrong.

IMO only way to secure win9x box is to use custom boot loader and custom
shell plus physical security (locks on case, BIOS superuser password, maybe
no floppy/CD etc)
Also nobody mentioned FolderGuard [http://www.winability.com/folderguard/]
which (among other features) gives you something like NTFS' ACL for FAT.

My $0.02
--Al