Security Basics mailing list archives

Instead of top 75 tools, how about top 75 "best" computer security related papers/articles/documents ?

From: <dented-halo () hushmail com>
Date: 3 Oct 2003 05:15:33 -0000

Awhile ago there was a listing created of the top 75 security tools and applications that the information security
industry use. For alot of people this was an invaluable resource.

But how about if we take it a step further and shine the light on what everyone in the community feels would be their
"best of breed" or "must read" white papers, articles, documents, notes etc on the web. Specifically trying to refrain
from books, and obvious commercial/vendor biased articles,but rather free resoureces on the web drafted by authors who
are experts in their field.

Just like how the tools section covered various areas of interest, looking for the same in this list.

A couple examples that I thougth of:

Smashing the stack for fun and profit by Aleph1, phrack magazine 1996. One of the best papers out there that explains
buffer overflows.

Insertion, Evasion, and Denial of Service- Eluding Network Intrusion Detection 1998

The art of port scanning by Fyodor

etc...

That is only a few that I could think of, off the top of my head. I know there are alot of other great documents and
resources out there.

In fact Fyodor of nmap fame has his own "articles of interest section" on his web page, with some more good examples.
This is the kind of list that I'd be interested in, but just covering a larger topic area.

I just wanted to query the group here and try and come up with a concesus on at least a dozen or two or more of what
everyone thinks are MUST READ articles when it comes to the wide and vast arena of information security.

Thanks