Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: military strike possible?

From: "J Kallberg" <jk () cyberdefense com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:12:16 -0500

Hard to motivate politically. Depend on the country that is target
and where the attack originate from. But I don't see the viable attack.
OK, you blow up a computer lab, and then what? Hard to target
and know what you actually attack, is this the vehicle that the perpetrator
uses?

Targeted assignations of key members of a hostile cyber attack brain team
I think is the reality, actual military strikes, no.

We also don't know from where the brainwork originates, the strategist and
funding comes from, even where they are, even if we can nail down from where
on the physical map the attack comes from. Example, if China wanted to attack
the US financial backbone the attack would not come from People's Rep of China.
It could come from London or Sydney.

Digital assets can be moved, copied, and the information how to bring things
down are not tied to a single server park. I think you have to concentrate
of reduce the brainpower on the other instead of the physical information processing.

JK