Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: POP3 passwords

From: Francisco Andrades <fandrades () nextj com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:04:09 -0400

You can use POP3 over SSL/TLS

Tomas Wolf wrote:
Hi,
I was thinking about this problem myself though... Does POP3 protocol support any kind of encryptiong - at least for AUTH process? What I was concerned about was public wireless access (no encryption, no privacy, etc.), where one is just "sniffing" and gathering pop3 passwords / http passwords. Big waste of them (I would say majority) could be use to AUTH with associated SMTP; therefore to use the credentials to spam... Here near are three "coffee" hotspots and one "metro" hotspot spawning several blocks.

 I'll look at the RFC and try to find it...
Tomas

Zachary Mutrux wrote:

Why has it not been a bigger problem that POP3 passwords are unencrypted
when sent over the public Internet? Seems like they would be pretty easy for
a miscreant to steal.

zm

--
Zac Mutrux
Technology Consultant

--
Francisco Andrades Grassi
www.nextj.com

FREE Whitepaper: Better Management for Network Security

Looking for a better way to manage your IP security?
Learn how Solsoft can help you:
- Ensure robust IP security through policy-based management
- Make firewall, VPN, and NAT rules interoperable across heterogeneous
networks
- Quickly respond to network events from a central console

Download our FREE whitepaper at:
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Solsoft_security-basics_031015