Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Detect proxy software - Internet access control

From: Eric Hagen <eric () sandpile net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 01:13:42 -0500

I think some sort of link-layer authentication like the EAP (extensible authentication protocol) within the 802.1x standard might do what you request. It's a link-layer authentication protocol and could be used to do per-port auditing of systems. However, it would mean reconfiguring every host, switch and router on the network to support 802.1x awareness and establishing a RADIUS (or other type of authentication) server if you don't have one already.

Maybe looking for a "freeware tool" is a bit premature. I'm not entirely sure it's even possible given the nature of IP and the capabilities of modern routers and operating systems to seamlessly provide NAT services, even using VPN, PPPoE, etc.

Eric Hagen

Milind Nanal wrote:

Dear,

I am looking for any freeware/ commercial evaluation tool which would detect
the  systems running with proxy application to serve other system. I want to
have strict control on Internet access. So I want only allowed users should
use the Internet facility & they should not be running proxy application to
server Internet for their friends.

Regards,

Milind