Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Student-Degree valuable or not?

From: Paul Ledin <paul_ledin () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 08:43:11 -0700 (PDT)

Dude I think Micro$oft is "the man", or at least a
very dear close personal friend of his. ;-)  Seems
like a bit of a contradiction to be so passionate
about law and a company that's been in such blatant
violation of it, not to mention buying its way out.

Anyway I have to say again that I think your in a very
advantageous place in life right now.  You might well
elude that recent grad catch-22 that one of the
experience and can't get experience w/o a job.  The
current economic enviroment might be exagerating it
somewhat, but I think this is true most of the time
regardless of economic conditions.  Granted I didn't
live in Silicon Valley or one of the other former IT
hot spots, but when I graduated in 1999 I played the
same game then, although only for a month or two
instead of 6-12 which is probably the norm now.

--- DANIEL SIMPSON <DANSIMPS () uat edu> wrote:
After graduation of high school I moved to Silicon
Valley and worked for
Napster (3 months), Hi Five (8 months), a local
consulting firm and a
large private school doing IT related stuff. I got
laid off (at age 22)
and really had to reinvent myself. I traveled
around, visited friends
and family and talked to as many older people as I
could for suggestions
(lasted about 6 months). After everything people
told me, I knew what I
had to do. They told me the one thing nobody can
take from you is an
education. I have passion in technology and law and
everyday I want to
do something new. I'm in my 4th week of school and
wonder if I made the
right decision. After all, I had to move away from
California and leave
all my friends and family behind. I already realize
that I don't want to
work for "The man" but I would like to work for one
of my favorite
companies for at least a couple years so I know I
MUST get a degree to
fulfill this dream. I'm getting a powerful degree
from a school that is
fairly unknown but has the best program I have ever
seen (Yes they are
regionally accredited) and some of the best access
to latest technology
any school can provide. I didn't do so hot in high
school so my access
to public schools was extremely limited, I was
forced to spend the bucks
and allow to private schools. Who can complain? I
don't plan on sitting
during my 4 year stint; I already have some
certifications and plan on
getting more. I'm doing an internship right now and
applying for a
summer intern at Microsoft.

=====
I can't die until the government finds a safe place to bury my liver.
                -- Phil Harris