Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: NASA Security Audit

From: "KoRe MeLtDoWn" <koremeltdown () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 06:17:26 +0000

Hi there,
Have you considered putting another machine between the firewall and the server? I would suggest using redhat linux on this box, and customise some firewall rules. Look specificly at blocking out the dangerous port access on the network e.g rpc, netbois etc. Blocking this at the linux platform so he cant get through is a powerful way of shielding the flaws in microsoft architecture. This is one method you might not have considered that you might like to look into - it can effectively make it near impossible to intrude on your server if implemented correctly.

Kindest of regards,

Hamish Stanaway

Absolute Web Hosting
Owner/Operator