Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: McAfee Anti Virus V4.5.1 SP1

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 10:37:30 +1300

"Mike" <mjcarter () ihug co nz> wrote:

I have a question and  I can't get an answer from the vendor, their support
is not free for this question.

It should be.

Any antivirus tech-support folk who cannot answer this off the top of
their head should not be employed in AV tech-support...

We have had 3 or 4 machines come up infected with Nachi today ...

Were they "actively infected" or simply had Nachi .EXEs on them?

... but the on
access scanner didn't pick it up. Carrying out a full system scan did pick
it up.

I'll hazard that this is because your on-access scanner is only
intercepting file-open style accesses, whereas the on-demand scanner
was set to look at all files.  For the on-access scanner to "see" the
Nachi .EXEs they would have had to be "opened", either by some process
trying to read them or to execute them.  Alternately, if the on-access
scanner can be set to scan on modify and/or on file-close operations,
it should have detected the files after the remote process infecting
those machines closed the files.

I found the infected machines by going through Black Ice logs on my local
machine that showed RPC scans and then connecting to the remote machine's
C:\winnt\system32\wins directory and scanning the dllhost.exe and
svchost.exe files.

So the machines actually became actively infected?

Could the copies of McAfee on the infected machines detect the virus at
all?  For the machines to be actively infected their on-access scanner
would have had to fail entirely which most likely would be because it
was disabled, had not updated its .DEF files in ages or something had
gone badly wrong during an update.

I don't have access to any kind of network scanner, our security policy
doesn't allow me to use them (I'm just a field ops support person).

Anyway... I'm trying to figure out why McAfee on access scanner isn't
picking these files up but the full system scan is. There is no difference
in the setup we have between on access or full scan.

Hmmmmm -- that suggests that the machines should not have been able to
become actively infected, but that they could become hosts of Nachi's
files as an on-access scanner cannot prevent the files being created
(but should prevent access to them once they are created and closed
-- that is, after they are written and before they can be executed).

Everything is up to date, including the MS patch levels, but that's another
story.

Excuse me, but that claim must be false.

_If_ the Windows patches are up to date then the machine cannot be
vulnerable to Nachi infection.  This suggests that you are using a far
from accurate method of determining patch currency.

Is there another variant that might be stopping the on access scanner ???

Any ideas?

There is one final possibility, yes.  IIRC, by default McAfee has its
heuristics enabled for system (on-demand) scans but not for on-access
scans.  A Nachi variant that is sufficiently different from the
original that the McAfee's Nachi definition won't detect it "straight
up" may be detected by heuristics, but that should be evident in the
actual detection report.  Precisely how I cannot say, but the on-demand
scanner detecting a new, possible Nachi variant with its heuristics
should produce a different literal report than when it detects an
existing, known Nachi sample.  If you have the latter to compare with
you should be able to tell for yourself...

_Finally_, these machines had to have become infected from somewhere.
Either you have another infected machine somewhere on your network or a
hole in your perimeter defences allowing bad stuff from the outside
into where it ought not be...

--
Nick FitzGerald
Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.