Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: 802.1x RADIUS Deployment in Wireless LAN

From: shankarnarayan.d () netsol co in
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 13:10:16 +0530

Hi,

I assume that all who are reading this have knowledge of Wireless LAN
(802.11b), its Security issues and packet formats. Forgive me if not, as
this digs into technology a little. To talk about WPA in Wi-Fi Alliance's
own terms it is WPA = 802.1X + EAP + TKIP + MIC

1. EAP in combination with 802.1X is used for Authentication. Temporal keys
or use Pre-shared keys (typically in homes where you can't have a RADIUS
Server installed) to derive Temporal keys
2. MIC (short for Message Integrity Check, commonly called Michael and
created by Niels Fergusson - apologies if that is wrongly spelt) is used for
Integrity check
3. TKIP has 3 algorithms to it - they overcome weak key generation,
collision attacks and sequence key problem

To cut this short, because WPA uses MIC and TKIP as additional algorithms,
such features need to be built on the cards as the cards use these features
along with the AP/ RADIUS to help implement WPA. Hence cards, client
software and AP need to understand WPA and therefore need to be upgraded to
support such algorithms.

WPA authentication follows EAP with 802.1X for authentication, so I am not
sure encapsulation is the right word to use.

Hope this helps.............

Shankar