Security Basics mailing list archives

802.1x RADIUS Deployment in Wireless LAN

From: "David J. Jackson" <djackson () netdmz com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:11:46 -0800

Has anyone deployed RADIUS services in a WLAN environment and if so can you give me (this list) some feedback as to
your experience on the following:

- Design Difficulty?
- Ease of Installation?
- Software OS:  Windows 2000, 2003, XP, Linux, Unix, etc.
- Ease of Deployment?
- Ease of Management?
- Dynamic or Static WEP Key Distribution?

I'm also looking for some more specific information on setting up RADIUS authentication on the WLAN with cards that
don't specifically say they support 802.1x or RADIUS.  If I'm using a RADIUS client or Windows XP with built-in support
for 802.1x and Smartcard Authentication, etc. does the Wireless NIC have to support 802.1x or does it matter?

Also, I found a link on Microsoft's site on setting up RADIUS authentication for Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 servers.
 Has anyone used these articles/instructional guides and if so did they work properly?

Thanks very much in advance for your help with this.

David Jackson, GSEC
djackson () netdmz com