Security Basics mailing list archives

P2P Services and IDS

From: jburzenski () americanhm com
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:46:48 -0500

Does anyone have an updated list of well known p2p ports?

I'm also looking for any Snort rules to detect p2p activity.  Snort out of
the box comes with some rules for Gnutella, Kazaa, Napster and BitTorrent
but I want to be able to detect hosts running some of the more obscure p2p
clients as well (bearshare, grokster, etc.).  I have to imagine someone else
has done this already but I can't find the information anywhere.  Hopefully,
someone on this list has some resources.  Otherwise, I'll start reinventing
the wheel on Monday...

Thanks,

Jason