Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: RPC ports on Win2k

From: "Jones, Steve" <sjones () LMIT com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:55:47 -0600

Disabling RPC will kill a mass of things.  Go ahead and disable RPC on your
system and you'll see what I'm talking about.  But have fun fixing it.

You are correct in saying that there is no DCOM service (by this, I'm
assuming you mean there is no listing under services with a cute little
point and click to disable).  However, if you change the value of
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\OLE\EnableDCOM to N, DCOM will be disabled after a
reboot.  This change is good for all of the effected OS's, but should only
be used in a home environment.

And to answer the original question.

RPC can use multiple ports, mainly 135 and 139.  If you aren't blocking
these from external sources already - you're crazy and someone else probably
owns your network.  Blocking these ports internally is a bad idea, since
many other windows functions rely on these ports.

-Steve