Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: VPN Access for Consultants

From: "crtech" <crtech () hot rr com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:53:44 -0600

The company I work for setup several procedures for this purpose.

1) Outside equipment can only be connected to the network after IT has
checked it for current virus software and for viruses.
2) A consultant can VPN to their home network, but they can not have access
to both at the same time.  Same falls true for personal computers, if I need
to VPN into work then I lose connection to my home network while on the
corporate network.
3) There are two instances where an outside company is connected to our
network directly.  These companies have been hired to do work on a continual
bases for us and this is the only way that it could be done.  However, a
separate vlan was created for them and ACLs made so that they could only get
to the devices that were needed.
4) Does not matter what they think of your policies.  As long as you have
the approval of your upper management for your policies, everyone will have
to follow them, even if you do have six heads.

Lynn Gustafson