Security Basics mailing list archives

Protecting Home Machines

From: "Cherian M. Palayoor" <cpalayoor () cwalkergroup com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:22:57 -0800

I have a remote user whose laptop was severely infected by the trojans
MSBLAST & WiNSHOW.A.

I reinstalled the OS on the machine following a complete reformat, and
installed an anti-virus with the latest update. I ran a complete scan on the
machine prior to shipping the machine back to the user.

However as soon as the user took back the machine home, he was infected by
another worm (NACHI.A) within a few minutes of connecting to the internet
through his high speed cable modem. He swears that he had not downloaded
anything nor tried any removable media on this machine.

Following a bit of research on the matter, I am now aware that it is possible
for machines to get infected on the fly especially through unprotected home
internet connections.

The question is, "What do I do to prevent such occurrences which have
increased of late."

My thanks in advance for any thoughts or words of advise.

CP