Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Suggested "safe" password length

From: "CHRIS GRABENSTEIN" <LFGRABC () LF VCCS EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 11:59:26 -0500

Or just use a whole phrase as your password.  An 8-digit password using a mix
of upper/lower case, numbers, and symbols (94 possibilities I believe unless
you use ALT+XXX characters) has 6,095,689,385,410,816 possibilities.  A
14-digit passphrase using only upper and lower case letters has
1,056,931,425,538,820,521,590,784 possibilities.  Use more than 14 digits and
I don't believe the password will even be stored in an LM hash making it even
more secure.