Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: military strike possible?

From: "Mickey S. Olsberg" <mickey.olsberg () pc-ems com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:34:11 -0700

Just to chime in here, and put this thing back into topic:

The arguments listed in this thread seem to be a little misguided, or
perhaps even naive to the workings of the US Military. You have taken a
legitimate thread about cyber-terrorism (information, or rather
unconventional warfare) and linked it to bombs and WMD (more
conventional warfare). While one possibly could lead to the other, it is
more likely that one (info.) will be used to assist with the other
(conv.). If an enemy is attacking by conventional means, isn't it safe
to say that the enemy might want to access their networks to determine
where the troops are going and with what supplies? Wouldn't they want to
hack that system and divert those troops and supplies to a place of
their choosing? This is too simplistic of an example, but you get the
point. The next part of what I have to say should serve to clue some in
to how the Government works. To say that the opinions of one person, no
matter how high up, can effect change throughout something as large as
the DoD; is about like saying that a President can snap his fingers and
produce jobs. People that need workers hire people, and unless the
President is going to start hiring more people into the Government he
cannot "create" jobs. He can only make it easier for the people that can
to do it. The same is true for Military policy. Donald doesn't turn his
head a certain way and the Military copies his action. These are all
people we are talking about, with their own opinions (look at Wes Clark
on that one). While I'm sure that the NSA, CIA, FBI, DHS, etc would love
it if the Military could retaliate against hackers, it just won't
happen. As an example, the Military is expressly FORBIDDEN from even
pinging a host that does something "questionable". One of the branches
is only allowed to do an nslookup or dig against a host, even when that
host is doing a port scan or a DoS attack. That's it, nslookup and dig.
How does that work into the conspiracy theory?

As a side note, some foreign governments treat a simple ping against one
of their networks as an Act of War (we all do know the capabilities of
ICMP don't we?). Because of this, and because IP spoofing is pretty
easy, we are very careful. Russia sees Joe Black sitting on BellSouth
ping them, so what. North Korea sees a US Military IP address ping them,
whole 'nuther ball game.

By the way, on the IMHO thing, when you use it, are you like saying that
all of your other opinions aren't honest (the ones without it)? Just
something from a person that has had to testify in Court (they tell you
never to say things like "to be honest"...). ;)

Mickey Olsberg
Network Management/Security Instructor
US Military