Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: email gateway (transparent)

From: "Nick Warr" <nick () mobilia it>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:49:52 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "ibnmaja al-andlusi" <fedorian68 () yahoo co uk>
To: <security-basics () securityfocus com>
Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2003 8:14 PM
Subject: email gateway (transparent)

hello everyone,

I would like to know the feasiability of implementing
a transparent email gateway to catch virues, and spam
between the network, and the firewall?

is there such a thing that has zero configuration, any
hints/howtos would be much apperciated, I would rather
stick to an open source solution based on linux

TIA

W.A.

For spam, I heartily recommend spamassassin, it's not a zero config game,
but most everything can be controlled through one file (local.cf, assuming
users don't want to have their own configs), and modifying rules is
extremely simple and straightforward.

The antivirus part is a bit more complicated, but there are plenty of
linux/*BSD solutions, but you'll probably want to evaluate several
solutions. Rav antivirus was excellent, but unfortunately Microsoft has
assimilated them.

Nick

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
by up to 80%.
FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027