Security Basics mailing list archives

trusted & untrusted ports

From: "Hilal Hussein" <hilalma () hotmail com>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 07:19:28 +0000

Dear List,

I would like to open ports in my firewall so that i can access some applications out of my network. consequently, I have two questions:

1 - How I can Identify trusted ports vs. Untrusted ports ? assuming trust is directly concern with the security prespective (include virus, worms, hack, ...).

2 - corret me from wrong please. "There are two types of applications: web application (access through the http port), and client/server application (access through a defined port should be opened on the internet gateway).

your feedback and respond are highly appreciated.

honeslty, I am getting very good information out of this email list, so hopefully the answers will be benifitial to me and other members will to improve their knowledge base.

regards,

Hilal

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs by up to 80%. FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial - http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------