Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Evaluating the security level of a firewall

From: "Roger Bou-Aoun" <roger.bouaoun () ndu edu lb>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 07:57:23 +0200

Dear Yannick,

Both ways are valid, depending on each party point of view, however, in
order to configure a firewall, you should attend training, and follow
the security policy of the organization where the Internetwork
connection is involved, and the same applied for procedures, another
suggestion is to subscribe for the vendor mailing list and keep your
self up to date, in case a vulnerability Is found, or new
releases/patches.

However, a firewall alone is not enough in order to protect your servers
or the organization, everything is related to layers, and this approach
is the best one. Not to mention the support of the upper management, and
Information security auditing, what most of the firms would do is either
hire an auditing company (usually big five) and come to audit the
system, a good approach for security could be either the BS7799-2:2002,
COBIT, NIST... The other thing to do is trying to run a risk assessment
either from the inside (LAN) or the WAN, there are companies specialized
in doing this.

You should take into consideration the type of firewall that is being
used, because you can not expect a packet filtering firewall to protect
the application layer, neither state full packet inspection.

In case of the Installation of Intrusion Detection System, depending on
the configuration it might write rules on the firewall, and in some
cases you wont like the result (depending on the configuration and the
brand name of the IDS), it might block all the incoming and outgoing
traffic though the firewall.

Kind Regards
Division of Computing Services

Roger Bou-Aoun, Head
Information Security & Internetworking Department
Notre Dame University
Tel: 961-9-218-950 ext 2266