Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Evaluating the security level of a firewall

From: "James Fields" <jvfields () tds net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 13:27:18 -0400

It's not a matter of Nessus or any other tool being "good enough" - the
point goes back to what you friend said about being too busy.  I have a
limited number of hours per weeks.  I manage 8 firewalls, numerous IDS
sensors and maintain about 50 VPNs for my company.  I also am part of a team
responsible for managing our routers, switches, etc.  I do not have time to
research, on a regular basis, everything going on in the industry.

I've been told some companies hire security people who do nothing else - but
I've yet to work at such a place, and can't say what it would be like...