Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Basically Lazy - Email Header Analysis

From: stefmit <stefmit () comcast net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 19:48:54 -0400

I am using http://mail.spamcop.net/members.php --> report spam (need
registration, though)

Stef

On Saturday 25 October 2003 06:43 am, Andy Cuff [talisker] wrote:
Hi
Whilst drowning my sorrows in the UK rain following our resounding defeat
in the Eurovision song contest (Politics in Europe surely not !!)  I have
turned my attention to email headers.

Whilst I'm quietly confident about manually analysing email headers,  I'm
looking for tools or web resources that will automate some of the process.
There are plenty of anti-spam resources such as http://combat.uxn.com/ and
http://www.spamhaus.org/ to identify spammers and there is the infamous Sam
Spade for testing Open Mail Relay Agents. There are a plethora of how-to's
and FAQ's about analysing headers manually.   But I haven't found many
resources that analyse the headers in sufficient accurate detail.

Personally I would rather run a tool on my own system than put my headers
through a 3rd party website but there are a few sites that seem to do it
fairly well such as http://www.3dmail.com/spam/ which whilst spam focussed
seems fairly comprehensive, though sadly a beta which hasn't been updated
in a year.

Any recommendations websites or tools would be greatly appreciated, if
there is a sufficient response I will collate the information onto a new
page for the website below and post a summary to this list

cheers, and for the Brits have a good Bank Holiday Weekend I hope the
weather is better where you are!

take care
-andy
Taliskers Network Security Tools
http://www.networkintrusion.co.uk

Thinking About Security Training? You Can't Afford Not To!

Vigilar's industry leading curriculum includes:  Security +, Check Point,
Hacking & Assessment, Cisco Security, Wireless Security & more! Register
Now! --UP TO 30% off classes in select cities--
http://www.securityfocus.com/Vigilar-security-basics
-