Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Question about firewalls.

From: khayes () eastbay com
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 13:02:13 -0500

I for one have always been a strong proponent of single purpose firewalls
for just that reason.  Sure you're firewall config may be strong as a 15'
stone wall but what about all the other secondary services running?  As you
said, all it would take is one vulnerability in those services to be
exploited and BANGO!... there goes the whole house of cards.

Weigh the time and effort you'll spend recovering from a breach into your
LAN compared against the few dollars a month you'll spend running another
machine.  If you're really concerned about the few dollars a month, don't
run a monitor on the hardware.  Either get a KVM or just remote onto the
machine if you need to do any administrative work.  You'd be suprised at
how much a monitor costs to run 24/7.

Ken Hayes
Network Administrator
Eastbay / Footlocker.com
Wausau, WI Offices
(715) 261-9573
khayes () eastbay com

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |   "Allan Schon"                  |
|         |   <allanschon@mckinleymachinery.c|
|         |   om>                            |
|         |                                  |
|         |   05/21/2003 12:43 PM            |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |To:     <security-basics () securityfocus com>
          |
  |cc:
       |
  |Subject:  Question about firewalls.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I have a quick question about basic network/firewall setup.

I am about to move into a new apartment, and am taking the opportunity to
rethink the way I have my private network set up.  I currently have a  box
running Slackware Linux v9.0 running iptables as the main firewall/gateway
to my broadband connection.  I also have web, mail, ssh, and a couple other
servers running on that machine.  My desktop computer runs WinXP, and my
roommates each run Win98.  I have a few extra boxes sitting in a closet
collecting dust, and I was thinking about bringing them online.

Would I gain any security by dedicating one machine to firewall/NAT
functionality and forwarding ports on to another host? The only advantage I
can think of is that a root exploit on any of the services I allow through
the firewall would essentially give the attacker free reign over my entire
network, instead of just the single machine.  The primary disadvantage is
the one which my wallet will experiance, as keeping another machine running
24/7 will increase the electricity bill somewhat.  Do you think that the
real gain in security(if any) is worth the added cost?

--
Allan

Thinking About Security Training? You Can't Afford Not To!

Vigilar's industry leading curriculum includes:  Security +, Check Point,
Hacking & Assessment, Cisco Security, Wireless Security & more! Register
Now!
--UP TO 30% off classes in select cities--
http://www.securityfocus.com/Vigilar-security-basics