Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Password Cracking

From: "Allan Schon" <allanschon () mckinleymachinery com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 08:04:15 -0400

Well, if you examine your log files, you should be to find each of these hacking attempts, and get some information
about the hackers.  If, however, you don't find evidence of a brute force attack in your logs, your system itself may
have been compromised.  If I were you, I'd do a comprehensive security audit RIGHT NOW, do determine what, if any,
damage has been done.

If these cracking attempts were aimed at a specific director, or a small group of them, you may want to read up on
'social engineering'.  It is very likely that your clients are not terribly tech-savvy (most people aren't), and may
have actually given thier passwords to the cracker.  Oops. :)

If I were you, I'd go to your local library and pick up a book or two on computer security. Check out this site for a
list of titles: http://www.securityfocus.com/library/category/4

Good luck!