Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Decrypt File

From: "Jim Barrett" <jimb () ins com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 22:50:32 -0400

Sorry,

I don't think that this will work in this case.

From the readme file of the product (their grammar issues, not mine):

"The program can decrypt protected files only if encryption keys (at
least, some of them) are still exist in the system and have not been
tampered."

In this case, there may not be any more encryption keys as the computer
has been wiped.

The nature of EFS is such that certain kinds of decryptions are
difficult.  Windows uses a fairly secure symmetric encryption key to
encrypt the file and then encrypts the file encryption key with a
public/private key pair (certificate) that the user then has access to.
If this certificate is destroyed, you are then left with the task of
having to brute force the symmetric key.  That is going to take a while.

The certificate used for the encryption can be issued by a certificate
authority if one exists in the enterprise and the computer is a member
of the domain.  Otherwise, it generates one on the local workstation.
This is why it is not recommended to use EFS if you are not part of a
domain.

Most of the ways that I know about "breaking" EFS involve faking out the
system into divulging the certificate information such that the
symmetric encryption key can be learned.  This would be how the program
you mention probably works.  True cracking where you don't have access
to the symmetric key in any form is not going to be easy.  Better buy a
Cray (http://www.cray.com/) if you plan to do it.

Jim Barrett, MCSE, CISSA, CISSP, CCNP
Principal Consultant
International Network Services