Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Decrypt File

From: "Jason Normanton" <netprouk () netprouk com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 20:45:43 +0100

Hi guys,
                There is a way around this with EFS if you have
"accidentally" reinstalled the machine without saving the recovery agent. I
have had to save lots of data this way :

For a non domain or domain member system:

1 if o/s has been re-installed re-boot machine into safe mode
2 in properties for the encrypted data re-assign the new local admin account
certificate to the files as the recovery agent and take ownership of the
files
3 reboot the machine as normal the data will now be recoverable from the
admin account.

Regards,

Jason Normanton
Senior Consultant (Directory Services Security)
http://www.Netprouk.com