Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: removing spyware (ezula)

From: "Sabek" <osabek () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 15:32:29 -0400

Hey Dave,

Ezula must be running an executable during startup that is recreating
the files that AdAware etc is deleting. I once had a similar problem. Im
sure you already know the name of the process (the file name of the
executable).

This is what I did to fix it. Back up your registry, in the registry
folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN
you will see several applications that run during startup. Look for the
shady key, one of these keys may be the one that is running an exec
recreating the ezula exec. In my experience, it was a hidden self
extracting executable located at c:\windows\system32 that was extracting
the file to a folder on the root. It stood out because the filename was
20 random characters. First delete the folder that contains the program
that is running, next delete the file that is referenced in the
registry. Then delete the key from the registry. Hopefully this works...
good luck.

Anthony Sabek
NYTC, Consultant