Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Good Red Hat install

From: "Allan Schon" <allanschon () mckinleymachinery com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:18:35 -0400

Well, this isn't quite what you asked for, but if I were doing what you propose, I wouldn't use Red Hat at all. I'd
install a more basic distro, like Slackware... Red Hat is very GUI oriented, and I've had trouble with a command-line
only install in the past.  It seems that they modify a lot of the packages in order to make them play nicely with thier
GUI tools, and occasionally break the 'normal' command line operation of the tools in the process.  Slackware is
certainly a no-frills distro, and there's less support, but it has a reputation for stability and security, and it's
pretty easy to get going if you read the documentation, and have a little patience.