Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How secure is Email based password reset?

From: "S. Rohit" <s.rohit () usa net>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 11:02:58 +0800

hi....

    This is a very neat and elegant solution proposed by Dan. The only
problem in this solution can be to ensure that the SSL session does not time
out before the email is recieved by the user. This can happen because it
mite be possible for the email to get delyaed in delivery, which is quite a
common occurrence. Especially if the mail server that u will be using to
send out the email will be the same as the corporate email server. To ensure
that this solution works in a more smoother manner u mite want to consider
adding in a new mail server intot he solution which can handle the outgoing
emails from all the applications that will be using this kind of solution.
This will atleast reduce the lag in email transit introduced due to the load
on the corporate email servers..... Now the only reason for delated email
deliver will be internet traffic based delays....

rohit