Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: How secure is Email based password reset?

From: "Stephen" <bitbucket () look ca>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 11:09:59 -0400

I've never used the model you're describing below, as the temporary
password you're sending -- in plain text -- can be sniffed anywhere
across the wire.  My suggestion would be:

1.  User answers question he/she chose when signing up -- to prove it is
actually him the user.
2.  User is not logged logged in, but is rather forced to change his
password immediately.
3.  Login screen is presented, and the user logs in w/ his/her newly
chosen password.

(This is all done using SSL encryption!

This is obviously in regards to securing a web application, so might I
suggest a few articles that were somewhat helpful to me when I was
building my security model:

http://securityfocus.com/infocus/1688 &
http://securityfocus.com/infocus/1687

Cheers,