Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Digital Certificates - POP & IMAP

From: "Brian J. Smith-Sweeney" <bsweeney () physics ucsb edu>
Date: 07 May 2003 09:12:50 -0700

I'd actually be willing to bet they dont' mean to infer you can't use
IMAP, particularly since the digital signing happens when you're sending
mail and IMAP isn't the protocol used for sending (presumably SMTP is,
unless you're on an interesting system).  I think they meant to say you
can't use the digital ID with something like a web-based email service
(hotmail, yahoo mail, msn, etc), in which case it's just poorly worded.
What they really should say, if I'm right about what they meant, is
something like

        "To use a digital ID, you must be using a supported email client (with
link to a list of said supported clients).  Web-based email systems are
not yet supported by Verisign for use with Digital ID."

I would further guess that the reason this is worded this way is because
someone at Verisign brought up web-based systems when they were in a
marketing meeting, and someone else (with slightly less than a full
clue) said "yeah, we can't support webmail systems.  I think they use
IMAP, right?".  Thus, the marketspeak folks decided the Digital ID
doesn't support IMAP.

But that's just my opinion.  I could be wrong.

The world may never know the truth, unless someone from Verisign checks
this list =).

-Brian
--
Brian Smith-Sweeney