Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: some permission problem?

From: buzzdee <reitenba () fh-brandenburg de>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 08:27:19 +0200

Am Dienstag, 6. Mai 2003 09:29 schrieb SB CH:
Hello, all.

I found that some malicious man browsed /etc/passwd file by httpd.
So I would like to block to see /etc/passwd file by nobody(http user)
permission.

you don't need to worry about the permissions of your /etc/passwd file (of
course you should ;-) if you want to stop users getting it over http. just
add a directive like for your .htaccess files.
<Files ~ "^passwd">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
</Files>
this directive in your httpd.conf should stop users from download files calld
passwd.

hth
buzzdee

FastTrain has your solution for a great CISSP Boot Camp. The industry's most
recognized corporate security certification track, provides a comprehensive
prospectus based upon the core principle concepts of security. This ALL INCLUSIVE curriculum utilizes lectures, case
studies and true hands-on utilization
of pertinent security tools. For a limited time you can enter for a chance
to win one of the latest technological innovations, the SEGWAY HT.
Log onto http://www.securityfocus.com/FastTrain-security-basics