Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Privacy concerns and countermeasures

From: Kai Raven <k.raven () freenet de>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 19:19:13 +0100

Hello John,

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 12:35:22 -0800 (PST) you wrote:

1) Provided that I'm not doing anything illegal,
is it even remotely possible for my ISP or an agency
(Carnivore comes to mind) to find out my online
activities (such as which websites I have visited,
with whom i'm corresponding with) even if I am using
an anonymous websurfing service such as Anonymizer and
PGP/hushmail?

I would say yes, if your web anonymizing service isn't encrypted via SSL
and|or the service keeps logs.
For real anonymous surfing, we need chains of proxys, with encryted
links between them and from your pc to the first one.
Without logs on every hop and technics to hide the individual requests.

Even If I use strong encryption in my email, isn't it
possible for someone to find out to whom I have sent
the email?

Yes

2) Which anonymous services would you recommend?

For websurfing the Java Anon Proxy as Java application or as
'standalone' proxytest daemon.
http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html
For mails and postings Mixmaster (perhaps mixed with GnuPG encrypted
content)
http://mixmaster.sourceforge.net/

Ciao
Kai