Security Basics mailing list archives

Privacy concerns and countermeasures

From: john sus <supercool9000 () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 12:35:22 -0800 (PST)

Maybe I'm being a bit too paranoid but here it goes:

1) Provided that I'm not doing anything illegal,
is it even remotely possible for my ISP or an agency
(Carnivore comes to mind) to find out my online
activities (such as which websites I have visited,
with whom i'm corresponding with) even if I am using
an anonymous websurfing service such as Anonymizer and
PGP/hushmail?

Even If I use strong encryption in my email, isn't it
possible for someone to find out to whom I have sent
the email?

2) Which anonymous services would you recommend?

3) What else can I do legally to feel more secure /
private? Are there additional ways to secure my
privacy other than using anonymous services and/or
encryption?

4) In general, how far back do typical
ISP/organizations/companies keep their detailed usage
logs/statistics? I know this depends on their
settings, but i'm asking for a ballpark estimate
considering all practical situations such as data
storage issues, human resources, and maintainance.