Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Protect folder data.

From: "Langa Kentane" <langa () kentane net>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 09:23:57 +0200

Excel spreadsheet passwords can be easily unencrypted. There are
utilities out there that can do this for you in the click of a button.
Don't fall for that one.

Secondly, you must be careful when you deploy EFS. A must is to deploy
it only if it's domain wide. Otherwise it's not very secure. I read a
paper on this last year sometime. Can't find the link anymore but I will
send it to the list when I do. It's also very easy to misconfigure EFS,
then you think you're secure when you're not.

Thirdly, why not just buy PGP 8.0. I bought a copy in December for
US$39. Comes with PGP Disk. Exactly what you need. Otherwise you can
just get the freeware version, this will only encrypt individual files
though.

Lastly, there are a couple of these products out there, some of them are
free. I used one on 2000/2001. I just can't remember what the name was,
I think it was ScramDisk. It was free but only works in Win9x. There are
quite a few others as well, for instance DriveCrypt, BestCrypt,
StrongDisk.

With all that said, I'd go with a reputable, tried and trusted product:
PGPDisk.

Ciao