Security Basics mailing list archives

MAP Internal and DMZ Servers

From: "Tony Lindsey" <tonylindseyt () excite com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:24:32 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Our server group wants to MAP some production servers from inside our network to servers out on our DMZ.  The reason
they want to do this is to easily load software upgrades and patches between the internal and DMZ servers.  Another
reason is to easily inspect the logs on some of the high traffic DMZ servers from servers within our network.    At
this point I am not sure what services/ports on the internal DMZ firewall should be open.

What are the security risks?   I know there have been some vulnerabilities associated with NFS.  Should I deny the
security request?

Tony Lindsey
Audit Security and Risk Management Group
Managed Medical Services LLP
U.S. Division

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
http://www.surfcontrol.com/go/zsfsbl1