Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: access-list at 4006 catalyst switch?

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:33:59 -0800

  In the Cisco world, access lists are a router feature, and the
4006 does not have a router engine.
  It does, however, support VLAN trunking.  You can get almost all
of the functionality you seek by assigning the switch IP address on
a "system management" VLAN, and applying an access list to that VLAN
at your core router.  (You do *have* a router, don't you?)

David Gillett