Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Critical/Security Updates as well as other Patch Management

From: Vic Ricker <vic () sheetz com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:39:18 -0500

We're evaluating some software from Patchlink (http://www.patchlink.com/) to manage our Windows environment. From what I've seen of it, it looks very nice. They have preliminary support for Solaris and Redhat as well, but we haven't gone there yet. I still use red-carpet (http://www.ximian.com/products/redcarpet/) under Linux.

We're also subscribed to Meta Security Group's Command Center. They keep track of security alerts for a wide range of software packages and notify you when any of the alerts match your profile. It also has some features for policy management. I'm not sure that we're getting much value from it yet, since I get the same alerts from other free sources.

HTH.

Take care,
-Vic

Eric Zatko wrote:

Good day everyone,

I am very interested in hearing all opinions/resources/etc. regarding the topic of Security updates, Critical updates,
and general patch management. Any and all platforms... not only, but including Microsoft.

What are the strategies being used?

What are the best web/free resources?

What are your opinions?

My sincere thanks in advance.