Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Repeated Port Scan

From: Rich Franklin <rlfranklin2 () ameritech net>
Date: 30 Jun 2003 07:38:04 -0000

The IP addresses that you listed show up as the following;
Network Information for 66.230.230.115
Neucom, Inc. NEUCOM (NET-66-230-192-0-1)
                                 66.230.192.0 - 66.230.239.255
NetTuner Corporation (Webmasters.com) WEBMASTERS-20031402 (NET-66-230-230-
0-1)
                                  66.230.230.0 - 66.230.230.255

Network Information for 192.168.254.156

OrgName:    Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
OrgID:      IANA
Address:    4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
City:       Marina del Rey
StateProv:  CA
PostalCode: 90292-6695
Country:    US
NetRange:   192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
CIDR:       192.168.0.0/16
NetName:    IANA-CBLK1
NetHandle:  NET-192-168-0-0-1
Parent:     NET-192-0-0-0-0
NetType:    IANA Special Use
NameServer: BLACKHOLE-1.IANA.ORG
NameServer: BLACKHOLE-2.IANA.ORG
Comment:    This block is reserved for special purposes.
Comment:    Please see RFC 1918 for additional information.
Comment:
RegDate:    1994-03-15
Updated:    2002-09-16

OrgTechHandle: IANA-ARIN
OrgTechName:   Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Number
OrgTechPhone:  +1-310-823-9358
OrgTechEmail:  res-ip () iana org

As to the port scan, make sure that all possiblie services are shut down,
and then run netstat -a at a dos prompt to see if those same services are
still running.  XP is know to have services running in the middle too
upper end for ports.

Hope this information helps you.

Rich

I've been getting port scans from the same IP address for 3 days.  It is
not scanning continuously but will usually scan me every 2 hours for  a
few
hours.  When I do a whois on the address it doesn't give much
information
on who to contact about abuse.  I'm thinking that the computer scanning
me
has been compromised and is looking for other computers to infect.  The
source port is random but the local port is not.  It scans to see if
ports
1075, 3128, 4588, 6588, and 8080 are open.  I ran retina against the
machine and its running a default install of Apache without much
anything
configured.  The Sequence # of the packets are always 666666 and all
have
the SYN flag set.  Does anybody know of any worms or Trojans that scan
for
these ports and have these features?  Also, if whois doesn't give much
information how can I find out who to contact about this?  I've attached
some of the packets that I've captured, along with the whois
information.  Any help is appreciated.

TIA

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm