Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Distressing, possibly life threatening emails from free accounts (yahoo, hotmail

From: Greg Francis <francis () gonzaga edu>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:04:12 -0700 (PDT)

In my five years of handling e-mail incidents here at Gonzaga, I have yet
to have an ISP that gave up their user information without a court order.
I have had several ISPs willing to contact the perpetrator and send them a
warning once we sent them the headers of the messages.

The nice thing about having the IP address from the headers is that it
gives you a general idea where the sender is physically located. In some
cases, we've had one student send another another student an harassing
e-mail through an "anonymous" web-mail site from their dorm room! Having
the IP allowed us to catch the person quickly and easily.

In other cases, we've had someone send the messages from across the
country. When we mention the general location (the city, state) to the
victim, they often have an idea of who sent the message.

Sometimes these things pan out and other times they don't. All in all,
it's just a crap shoot since it's so easy to get pretty anonymous e-mail
accounts that will be difficult to trace with or without a court order.

Greg

Greg Francis                                Gonzaga University
Sr. System Administrator                    Spokane Washington
francis () gonzaga edu                         509-323-6896