Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Distressing, possibly life threatening emails from free accounts (yahoo, hotmail

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 11:03:12 -0700

heh.
    that's funny.
The IP that will appear at the top of the email headers will
be a Yahoo Web server.
Since it was after all,  a Yahoo Web Server which sent the
email on the behalf of a yahoo web surfer.

  Most responsible web-email providers -- including, specifically,
Yahoo! -- construct a "Received:" header which shows what client
IP address their web server received the message from.  In fact,
I was able to use that just yesterday to track the source of a
not-very-coherent email that just might be a suicide note.  (It
led me to one of our public-access machines, but it did at least
confirm a credible on-campus origin.)

David Gillett