Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Broadband usage statistics

From: Steve Frank <stevefrankrit () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:37:57 -0700 (PDT)

Keenan,

I wish I had some good statistics to show you about
network utilization compared to bandwidth size... but
I do have some interesting stories nonetheless. First
off, I'd say the average user doesnt do much when it
comes to network traffic/bandwidth usage. From my
somewhat limited experience, most users I've watched
run email clients, 1-5 web browsers, occasional
streaming audio programs like shoutcast or winamp,
various chat programs, or "weather bug" applications.
Most of these users don't cause much of a problem for
network bandwidth in my experience.

On the other hand, I have witnessed some less typical
"power users" totally eating up their bandwidth by
transfering/downloading/uploading files with sharing
tools such as kazaa. These users sometimes play online
games like everquest which can create alot of traffic
at the same time. On a related note, users who host
files or have their workstation configured as a server
can cause all sorts of havoc on a network. Case in
point, last year at RIT, a student who operated a
?hotline? Macintosh file server took up 94% of the
total Dual-OC3 connection. Needless to say the network
administrators found out and shut it down. But on an
open network, those kind of situations wouldn't
surprise me.

Thanks,

Steve Frank

-------------------
President of SPARSA
Security Practices and Research Student Association
Rochester Institute of Technology

--- Keenan Smith <kc_smith () clark net> wrote:
All,

Is anybody aware of a survey or study of some sort
that details a typical
user's broadband usage relative to the size of the
pipe?

I'm trying to roll out a remote access solution
using VPN as a secure
transport into our LAN.  So far in all cases, there
has not been a problem
with system or pipe load.  However, it was suggested
the other day that some
users may have maxed-out connections (hard to
imagine for a single broadband
user doing mainly email and other typical
office-related work maxing out
their pipe) that would make VPN an unusable solution
given the extra
overhead.

Rather than waiting to find out and having to
explain to my boss with a
red-faced "Duh" that I didn't know, I'd like to find
out what percentage of
users regularly max-out their connection so I know
if I'll have to come up
with some other way to secure a connection into our
backoffice or if I'll
have to budget for extra bandwidth on the user's
end.

What I need is how many people or companies, on
average, max-out their
connections?  I don't believe that a single user
with a cable modem or DSL
would ever have this problem, but how about a small
organization of 5 or 10
people?

Some basic measurements at the last company I worked
for indicated that
despite 50 users sharing a single T1 and many of
them doing streaming
audio/video as well as large downloads, never went
above an average 15%
utilization of a T1.

Is that typical or was that company particularly
efficient in their network
usage?

Most of my info is not quantifiable so I'm looking
for some hard facts and
figures.

Thanks in advance for any advice/info.

KC Smith

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as
leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of
its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in
marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play
secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or
ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at:
http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm