Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Broadband usage statistics

From: chris <chris09 () comcast net>
Date: 24 Jun 2003 12:34:59 -0000

Have you actually tested the speed of the modem? I use comcast@home and i
generally get an average 1.2kbps down and 3-400 up. I support over 10
machines, not users, but the machines all have a function that generates
traffic. There are 3 of using them from time to time, mostly me. But its
fair to say I am left with plenty of bandwidth to share. It is possible
your bottle necking somewhere in your network? What kind of equipment are
you using? You could setup some sort of packet filtering at the gateway
that gives priority to to certain things that are important. I cant say I
have ever seen anyone max out a cable connection. We run a DSL line here 6
people in the office. The line is not as fast as my cable at home yet it
supports us all fine. I think you should look at your topology first, make
sure theres no bottlenecking. Eliminate / filter the garbage and then give
it a go. I dont see a problem setting up the VPN, but like you said you
must take that traffic into consideration before deciding whether or not
to purchase more bandwidth. And also read your ISPs fine print, some like
comcast, are very picky about what you can do with your line. Ok thats all
--chris