Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: about access-list location?

From: "Mike Heitz" <mikeheitz46 () msn com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:05:41 -0500

Hey SB,

I think you may have some terms mixed up. An Extended Access list is a different type of access list than a standard access list. Here's a snippet from my Cisco book to help you differentiate the two:

"A standard access list is limited in functioality because it only allows filtering based upon source address. In comparison, an extended access list extends packet filtering, enabling you to filter packets based upon both source and destination address and upper layer application data."

So, the standard access list is pretty restricted in what it can do... an extended access list can perform all sorts of tricks.

What I think you are referring to in your question is whether or not the access list is applied to an inbound or outbound interface and where that interface sits in relation to your network and the flow of traffic. So, for example, you have a router with an interface connected to your T1 and another interface connected to you internal LAN. You can apply the access list to either interface, and also specify whether to apply the list to inbound or outbound traffic.

I hope that makes sense... if I've made any mis-representations, I hope someone can clarify for us.

Hope it helps

Mike Heitz
CCNA, MCP