Security Basics mailing list archives

Security issues with running eggdrop as an IRC bot?

From: "Koen" <koen4security () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 20:13:03 +0200

Hi List,

As a frequent IRC-chatter I'm thinking of running my own IRC bot. Eggdrop
seems the right choice for me, allthough emech seems promising also.

I would install it on Linux (off course properly firewalled and hardened)
and connecting to the irc-net through a socks-proxy (Dante). The bot would
not be available from the outside (except off course through IRC) and no
botnetting, linking or sharing.

Are there any caveats or security issues with running this setup? Any advice
is appreciated!

Regards,

Koen

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm