Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: VA vs PT tool

From: "Cirelli, Keith(LBS)" <Keith.Cirelli () LibertyMutual com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 15:15:03 -0400

This may sound like the long way of doing things and may be just my philosophy on VA & PT but, I've seen Security
people get complacent about "real" security.
Some tend to think just running a 'canned' tool is enough and that these tools "find everything" and/or if it finds
nothing..."ok..we're safe".

I use my own array tools(not necessarily written by me..but I possess them)to do those types of tasks, and find it to
be quite through.
I've found many holes or exploitable/rootable vulnerabilities with my own bag of goodies, that expensive commercial
'audit' tools never found.
Not always, not usually...but more than half a dozen times over the last 2 years...for me anyway.

What I want to say is this...

IMHO, a Security Engineer should have his/her own "tool bag" of sorts. There are many open source tools, avail scripts,
exploits, DoS codes available all over the internet from reputable sources
that are not plagued with bogus code, or full of hidden trojans and the like(some are, you need to analyze the code
before you run it).

My point, for me, many tools of the trade are indeed the exploits themselves. Any malicious attempt to gain access to
your network will most likely be done with the "tools/available exploits or home grown code" that I am referencing
anyway. Think of it for a minute, some script kiddie that downloads a SMURF or TEARDROP script(or any of a plethora of
others)...and launches it at you(as a for instance). Most likely these days many script kiddies are behind a cable
modem or even larger bandwidth connections and can be quite dangerous.

In order to see if your safe you need to test your devices against these potential threats, using the same code
available to the twits that may try to compromise your network...in any way.
Your obviously doing it in a controlled and ethical manner(riiiiiight?).

IMHO, to be on top of the issue, having a few dozen of your own goodies..either 'borrowed' or home grown. Your own
script that automates the process of running them isn't a bad idea either...to test or attempt to penetrate your
outward facing network presense(at least). You obviously have to stay on top of keep the newest, latest, greatest OS or
APPLIANCE patches or upgrades as well as exploits/DoS code(s) and stay updated with the newest stuff, probably
constantly modifying your script to accommodate the revolving door your tool box would most probably would be.

I honestly do not know if there are widely accepted 'canned' PT tools on the market these days. I'd guess there are
somewhere...but if there good, reputable and/or well known, they're probably not cheap. Cyber Cop used to 'launch'
partial exploits on devices if told to, (many times bombing devices or hosts in the process of vulnerability scans) but
I think they don't write that anymore
and any available updates you could find would probably be grossly outdated.

My 2 cents. Hope it helps you.

KC
CCNA/CCDA/CISSP/Geek