Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: How to obtain a yahoo username off a computer

From: "Times Enemy" <securityfocus () krr org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:32:00 -0700 (MST)

Greetings.

Perhaps, it would be convenient to have a personal laptop with some
flavor of linux installed on it, and use it as a master swiss army
network tool.  In this instance, it could be EASILY installed onto the
network, and left to do all the sniffing and scratching necessary, with
minimal cpu usage from other servers/clients.

If you're bored, you could even toss OBSD onto it, the laptop, two NICs,
and some interesting configurings to make the box invisible, a few
seconds to plug it into the network just before any switches or such,
and 'Tada!,' you have a sweet powerful sniffer with fast options to
reroute traffic to some warning should suspicious network traffic be
detected.  :)  Oh, and logging power galore!

As for being 100%, have you considered tricking the yahooligan?  Haha,
maybe some morning when they just get settled, walk to their
cubicle/office, and say, "Just a moment, we're installing these network
monitoring devices on several systems for testing purposes.  This will
just take a second to install."  Then plug in some stupid adaptor
between the keyboard, like a male to male extender or such, and tape it
with some tamper tape.  The whole time rambling about the advertised
powers of the little plug such as it's ability to detect all forms of
traffic, id them, and report to a central server, and how the server app
watches for any disconnects and the likes.  Blah blah blah.

:: shrugs ::

You seem to know your corporate environment.  Good luck.

PS, if all else fails, go corporate paper ninja on the yahooligan and
get them fired for not following some obscure corporate policy like
using a paperclip to attach hardcopy attachments rather than a staple.
Hey, it's your network.  You gotta protect it.  It's war.  No rules in
Love and War ...

Again, good luck.

ciao
.times enemy

Except that this person will be 'asked to leave' once we are sure they
sent the offended emails to our business partner.   So we need to be
as close to 100% as possible.  Even though this is employment at will
- but we don't want to get the wrong person!
And yes, most of the responses were no brainers.   It was useful to
learn about different scanners, etc. that I hadn't yet heard of.  But
overall there wasn't a ton of new info for me that was sent.  I was
hoping for some "quick trick" that someone knew of so we wouldn't have
to go through all the sniffer work.  We don't own any sniffers and
will have to download and install something.