Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: nmap for windows

From: SMiller () unimin com
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:28:08 -0400

"NMap for Windows, or "NmapWin"? Although based on the same design, these
are 2 different products: NMap for Windows is at version 2.7, NMapWin, a
GUI-bound variant, is still at v1.3 You ask a prophetic question, as I just
set NMap for Windows 2.7 up an hour ago. This is the url of the file I
downloaded:
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-3.27-win32.zip
The documentation for this states a requirement for WinPCap v2.1beta or
later. I found v3 at:
http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/winpcap/
After installing WinPCap, it appears that all that is required is unarcing
the nmap zip file into the run directory of your choice, then executing
"nmap.exe" with arguments from the command line. Mine appears to be
running. Caveat: that conclusion is based on the absence of error messages
and the fact that the help file can be displayed (nmap -h) I had been
restricted to NMapWin until this morning - I have not yet doped out the
equivalent arguments for CL nmap in order to get meaningful results... Hope
this helps.

-Scott Miller

                      "Zekeriya

                      Eskiocak"                To:       <security-basics () securityfocus com>

                      <zeskiocak@prolin        cc:

                      k.com.tr>                Subject:  nmap for windows

                      06/12/2003 10:30

                      AM

Hi folks,

Has anybody been able to setup nmap for windows? I could not get the
right file yet; either it is corrupted or doesn't have the setup files
completely. If this is not the right tool for me, does anybody know an
alternative one?

Thanks,

Zek

Zekeriya Eskiocak
Prolink/Turkey
http://www.prolink.com.tr

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm