Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Firewall and DMZ topology

From: "David J. Jackson" <djackson () netdmz com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:21:12 -0700

Small Office Home Office

-----Original Message-----
From: Morgado Alain [mailto:amorgado () AeroKool com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 7:55 AM
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: Firewall and DMZ topology

What is a soho?

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Ingram [mailto:cmi () crystalsands net]
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 3:01 PM
To: security-basics () securityfocus com

First I apologize if someone already followed up with the same anwser
I'm about to give. I've getting a ton of Out Of Office, unknown user,
and account full messages since I first posted here and its made a mess
of things on this end.

Also, when I say firewall, I mean Router + Firewall.

The point of a DMZ is to isolate it as much as possible from the rest of
your network. Should whatever resides in it become compromised, the
attacker cannot spread his influence across the network. Also, simply
having the address of a public server of a company will make finding the
address of the other hosts very simple. This can be quite cost
prohibitive for smaller companies, but the larger a corporation is (in
terms of its network) the more they can benefit from the 2 uplink setup.
With all that said, the original question said SOHO, so I realize this
would never be a real solution.

Keeping SOHO in mind, we can look at the rest of the options more
carefully. If the DMZ resides between the public Internet and the
internal network, compromising the DMZ will mean any traffic passing to
and from the local network to the Internet is sniffable. If this is not
an issue (No sensitive information at all will pass through here
including e-mails with corporate secrets, and online shopping and
banking (yes, even with SSL)) then that may work fine.

Assuming that this isn't acceptable, the inline method (every box has 2
NICs chained together) can be ruled out.

Should the DMZ be behind the LAN and not split off at the firewall, it
would have to be on the same NIC the LAN uses on the firewall. Splitting
that one port among several clients in the LAN and the DMZ would require
a switch or a hub, and that opens the door to sniffing as well. Only
this time, all traffic on the LAN can be sniffed, not just Internet <->
LAN traffic.

The three NIC method (Internet -> Firewall -> LAN, DMZ) is decent and
probably best situation if the implementing person/staff has the skill
and time to devote to it. No offense, but this didn't appear to be the
case. In the original question, this was ruled out due to costs.
Considering that the setup would only cost a few hundred dollars at
most, it seems that the person/staff responsible for this does not have
sufficient resources to properly implement and maintain this. This 3 NIC
firewall would require constant maintenance because, as it will most
likely run a full fledged OS, it is susceptible to attack, resulting in
the scenario I described in the beginning of this post.

I recommended splitting the LAN and DMZ using a simple SOHO hardware
router because a decent one can be found on eBay for around $40. I know
because I bought one 2 weeks ago. Considering how difficult is is to
compromise one of those, it can serve the purpose of the 3 NIC firewall
for a much lower cost.